Pages

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Breaking Free


At 20 years old and graduating college, I was ready to be thrown in the work force. Special events was where I was going and nothing could stop me. I kept looking for work but only received volunteer Opportunities which we all know doesn't necessarily bring in the money. I became obsessed with job search engines to the point where I was on Indeed.ca more than Facebook and Twitter combine. 

My job at the time had me between 65 hours a week to being off weeks at a time. During my time off I would sit in the dark and stare at a screen obsessed with finding something better. I became fed up with the situation and spent all my time in bed, not eating, not showering. I was stuck in a rut and I became comfortable with it.

I knew this wasn't my future and I needed to be proactive with my life. I decided that the only way I would better myself is going back to school. I had to ask myself what do I see myself doing and what can I tie events with? While my constant job searching I noticed PR, all I knew was the writing component of the job and I knew that would be a challenge for me because I consider it my weakness. In the end it’s what I decided as a path.


I then decided to enroll  in Niagara College, solely on the fact that I felt I was living in a Negative environment and needed to get away. Although both studying something new and moving away was a challenge, I wanted to show myself that I am capable of so much more than I originally thought and with determination I will achieve my goal. 

4 comments:

  1. I've experienced the ole' Indeed.ca rut before myself. Such a tough stage. I never stopped eating though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate to this, I felt the same way. Guess we all are in the same boat, well get through it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can all relate to things you've said Vanessa. I think it's an honest account of how you feel and well done for taking on a PR course even though you felt writing was not your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good post Vanessa. It takes a lot to admit these types of fears or insecurities although the first step in healing is admitting they exist. Wish you the best of luck concurring your goals in the future!

    ReplyDelete