Pages

Friday 6 February 2015

I really need to stop saying sorry

I can't put into numbers regarding the amount of times in a day I apologize.

I walk into someone. "Sorry"

I try to help someone. "Sorry"

I bump into an inanimate object......"Sorry"

It's come to the point where people in my life have acknowledged it and become annoyed.  
This was the video that really made me realize what I was doing.



Although I don’t believe in the gender secluded aspect of the video, I found it really described me and what I always do in those certain situations.

I believe the real reason it's a reflexfor me at this point is that I try to find a way to avoid conflict and find peace with people. I find joy in knowing people are happy and content so I feel if I apologize for what I did then it’ll help them

What I think it’s done is give me an image as if I was weak and needing acceptance of everyone. I find people try to walk all over me. I definitely notice I can be passive at times which is a part of my constant apologizing.


I decided I needed to be taken seriously so I've now pledged to myself to only apologize when I need to.

5 comments:

  1. Love this, Vanessa. I am also a kind of person who always say "sorry" to avoid conflict, but sometimes that even makes me more vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to me all the time! Saying sorry is almost an instinct reaction for me - I'm working on changing it because a lot of people sure as hell find it annoying! Oops, sorry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Canadians are notorious for overusing the word sorry. Totally true! Great post. - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a serial apologizer so I definitely think I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have this problem as well! I need to stop doing it so much as well! #sorry

    ReplyDelete