Pages

Friday 13 February 2015

Why I won't be watching 50 Shades of Grey

There's been a lot of talk lately surrounding the controversy of the 50 Shades of Grey Movie 


I have not read any of the books but one thing that caught my attention was this Tumblr post which was the the image of the poster above with quotes from the book. The quotes portrayed the character Christen Grey to come off as abusive both physical and emotional. I'm not exactly sure if these may have been out of context since I'm not the owner of those photos nor have I read the book, but if so I am still baffled at the fact that it still is even in the book. It's giving the world of BDSM a bad reputation and romanticizing abuse. If my views don't convince you maybe this will


Instead of buying tickets. Donate 


How is this relevant to what I've written?

Well I am someone who grew up in an abusive environment for most of my life, at home at a very young age as well as through school. With my past it's always been hard for me to trust men or anyone in general. I've ended relationships over nothing, sometimes solely on the fact that certain people's traits were parallel to those who tormented me. I would constantly have anxiety thinking I was never worthy of anyone.

Over the past year things have been easier. I am starting to trust people thanks to the wonderful support I've received. Dating has been easier but there is always days where I have my low moments. I'm focusing on myself by working on my self-esteem and overall self-love before I decide to be in a relationship again. 

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your past Vanessa. Just remember, past makes us better. I personally really enjoyed the book but I totally understand why you would feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, It was hard to write but I felt it needed to be done. And everyone has their own personal interests

      Delete
  2. I am so so sorry to hear that you had to go through things so horrible, Vanessa :( It's honestly so incredible that you are not letting your past or your hurts limit your goals or what you strive for, and putting so much effort (and succeeding, I might add) to overcome the scars. I know it won't be an easy fight, and the past will never be utterly gone and forgotten. But you CAN overcome it, and it is inspiring to see you rise above it like you are. I also hope you can challenge yourself to see that although us guys are definitely not perfect, there are a lot of guys who ARE worth that trust and leap of faith! Keep on trekking, Vanessa! The whole class has your back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your support Josiah. It took a long time to trust men but I think I can say I'm there. I'm just glad to find people who can have patience with me.

      Delete
  3. Great post Vanessa and good for you for sharing your experiences. I agree completely with your stance on the movie and, aside from the fact I feel the books are mindless and poorly written, I have no interest in seeing a movie that glamorizes that type of behavior publicly. - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff, at this point you just have to laugh at what people consider good literature.

      Delete
  4. It was very brave of you to share your experiences. The fact you are no longer trying to be a victim and moving on with your life is really great to see. Well done with what you have achieved already and will continue to achieve in the future.

    ReplyDelete